The Ricegrowers’ Association of Australia (RGA) has submitted its Rice Research and Development Levy Proposal to the Minister for Agriculture, Senator the Hon. Bridget McKenzie, as follows:
“The existing statutory levy rate for rice be increased by $3.00 per tonne for the research and development component to $6.00 per tonne.”
The levy of $6.00 per tonne of rice comprises $0.06 per tonne for Plant Health Australia (no change) and $5.94 per tonne for research and development (an increase of $3.00 per tonne).
A copy of the RGA’s Levy Proposal Submission is available at the RGA website.
The Department of Agriculture ‘Levy Principles and Guidelines’ document sets out the process that the RGA must comply with in submitting this proposal. To date the RGA has completed the following steps:
- Undertaken an extensive three month consultation program advising Levy Payers of the proposal;
- Following this, undertaken a postal ballot of all Levy Payers to measure the level of support for the Levy Proposal. 63% of participating Levy Payers supported the Levy Proposal; and
- Submitted the Levy Proposal to the Minister for Agriculture.
The next step is to provide all Levy Payers with the opportunity to lodge an objection to the Levy Proposal. The Objection Period commenced on Monday 24 June 2019 and will expire at 5pm on Monday 5 August 2019.
Objections may be lodged by:
- Levy payers who have grown rice over the last 5yr period, and/or;
- Any potential levy payers who are past rice grower, and/or;
- Any potential levy payers who are growers who wish to grow rice in the foreseeable future.
Levy Payers wishing to object should make their objections in writing to the government by:
Email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Post at: Department of Agriculture – Levies
GPO Box 858
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Objections may also be made to Senator the Hon. Bridget McKenzie, Minister for Agriculture by:
Email at: Minister.McKenzie@agriculture.gov.au
Post at: Minister for Agriculture
PO Box 6100
CANBERRA ACT 2600
The objection must outline:
- The aspects of the Levy Proposal you are objecting to;
- Your reasons why you oppose the Levy Proposal including supporting arguments and evidence; and
- Your contact details and/or the contact details of those making the objections(s).
For assistance with lodging an objection, please contact the Department of Agriculture on
Telephone:. 02 6272 4552 or E.mail: email@example.com.